Like us on Facebook!

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Kobe Bryant Says He Mentored By The King Of Pop



Nice read right here from yahoo sports' Adrian Wojnarowski.... According to this interview, Los Angeles Lakers great Kobe Bryant says he was mentored by none other than the legendary Michael Jackson during his rookie year (Bryant was right out of high school and 18 at the time). Here are some quotes from the interview:

He noticed I was getting a lot of [expletive] for being different,” Bryant said. “It sounds weird, I guess, but it’s true: I was really mentored by the preparation of Michael Jackson."

“We would always talk about how he prepared to make his music, how he prepared for concerts,” Bryant said. “He would teach me what he did: How to make a ‘Thriller’ album, a ‘Bad’ album, all the details that went into it. It was all the validation that I needed – to know that I had to focus on my craft and never waver. Because what he did – and how he did it – was psychotic. He helped me get to a level where I was able to win three titles playing with Shaq because of my preparation, my study. And it’s only all grown.

“That’s the mentality that I have – it’s not an athletic one. It’s not from [Michael] Jordan. It’s not from other athletes.

“It’s from Michael Jackson.”

Despite all the corny and cheesy jokes some will make of this, if you actually pay attention Bryant is dropping some knowledge for some of the youngsters. Being great is all about preparing yourself to be great, then executing. This theory can be applied to all facets of life, not just musical or athletic.

The article also goes on to say this...

And you won’t be the one to stay too long, to make them rip the jersey off your back?

“Just thinking about some of the guys that I take advantage of now, taking advantage of me later – that doesn’t sit too well with me,” Bryant said.

That's a warning for anyone trying to take Kobe's crown as arguable the best player in the NBA.

Take a few minutes and read the full article. It's a great read if you can seperate the accidental comedy aspect of the subject and find the true meaning of the words that were spoken.

But isn't what what being an adult is all about?

-ALR

1 comment:

  1. I do understand what Kobe is saying that he was mentored by Michael Jackson...both are driven to perfection! Each one is determined to be the ultimate performer in what they do best!..it takes an exceptional, extraordinary, and,remarkable person to achieve such a quality of successfulness in their lives. Not every one has that kind of drive to be the best of the best...yes it is psychotic,and phenomenal!I enjoy every minute of such an outstanding performance!.."Play it again Sam"

    ReplyDelete