Like us on Facebook!

Friday, December 10, 2010

Ron Artest: The 'Good Kind Of Crazy'


You gotta love Ron Artest. How could you not? Yes he's a tad bit crazy at times, but you have to respect the fact that he's always genuine (unlike many athletes and celebrities these days). Recently ESPN spent a day with Ron Ron and he was full of comical yet honest quotes. Here's a couple from Artest:

Artest on why he does extra shooting and training after shootarounds:
"Because once I get into that gym, that ball is like a drug. When you see that ball go into the basket, that's like one of the best drugs ever. I'm addicted, and I hope the state of California illegalizes it."

Artest on the triangle offense:
"See, I can't really understand the Triangle [offense]," he admits. "There's 1,000 plays in the Triangle. It's such a challenge. I get so frustrated about it, I have to call my psychiatrist. So I just stay in my one spot in the corner. If I leave my spot, I get yelled at. Phil's gonna say, 'What are you doing over there?!?' So I just don't move."

Artest on his defensive reputation:
"Who's better?" he charges. "You gonna say Bruce Bowen [the retired San Antonio Spur]? That's just political. Nobody wants to say, 'The best defensive player in the NBA is Ron Artest.' Because who would want Ron Artest to be the face of anything?

"People try to put themselves on my level, defensively. But none of these guys have ever done what I do -- hold All-Stars to zero points. I held Latrell Sprewell in his prime to zero points. I held Carmelo Anthony to two points. I'm the only player in history to hold LeBron James to zero assists.

"Really, I feel like I'm better than I ever was. I'm just not getting to show it … I'm on Kobe's team. If he's not there, I'm on Pau [Gasol]'s team. If he's not there, I'm on Lamar [Odom]'s team. It's all right. I had my chance to have my own team -- in Chicago and Indiana -- but I messed that up. I blew it."

Artest take on life:
"My whole life has been mistakes," he says. "I know I'm going to make bad decisions in basketball. I know I'm going to probably get knocked out boxing. I might break an elbow playing football. But without pain, there's no pleasure. Without failing, there's no success. I'm a perfectionist who's not perfect."

How can you hate a player who so honestly and openly gives his take on things. One thing I admire about Artest is that no matter the situation or setting, he's going to be himself. Always. After the Lakers took home the championship in June Artest appeared on Jimmy Kimmel live in nothing but his boxers. He also says he wants to try football and boxing after his NBA career is done. Artest has recently stated that he would be donating a portion (if not all) of his 2011 salary to mental health charities in hopes that it would create awareness. What other athlete would even consider this type of contribution? I'll wait...

A lot of doubters were worried about how Artest would handle life in Los Angeles when the Lakers inked him to a free agent deal to replace Trevor Ariza, but tt appears as if Ron has come a long way from that Malay at the Palace in Detroit (remember this?). I have a lot of respect for Mr. Artest and hopefully he can keep his head in the right place.

Just don't throw anything at him and you're all good.

-ALR

No comments:

Post a Comment