Like us on Facebook!

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Memphis Grizzlies O.J. Mayo Suspended 10 Games By NBA


This just hasn't been O.J. Mayo's season. First he gets beat up by Tony Allen over a game of cards, then he loses his starting 2-guard spot and now per this tweet by Commercial Appeal word is out that he will suspended for ten games by the NBA for violating the league's anti-drug program. Here is an except from the NBA's press release:

The NBA announced today that O.J. Mayo of the Memphis Grizzlies has been suspended without pay for 10 games for violating the terms of the NBA/NBPA Anti-Drug Program. His violation of the program involved a positive test for dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA).

Per CBS Sports, here is a statement released by Mayo through the Grizzlies organization:

“I’m extremely disappointed that I’m going to miss the next 10 games, particularly as our team is making a push for the playoffs. I had no idea that the over-the-counter supplement that I took was a substance banned by the NBA. It was an honest mistake, but I take full responsibility for my actions. I apologize to my fans, teammates and the Grizzlies organization for regrettably not doing the necessary research about what supplements I can put in my body.”

If I lost 10 games pay equaling up to $405,000 I'd be pretty disappointed too. We've said before that it may be time for a change of scenery for Mayo, who is a still a very capable NBA scorer and defender and near the beginning of his career. If I were in the Bulls front office I'd be blowing up the Grizzlies phone lines because I'm sure right now Mayo can be had for the "low", and Memphis' season is all but in the tank anyway.

So far this season O.J. "Da Juiceman" Mayo (courtesy of @DragonflyJonez) is averaging 12 ppg and about 2 apg. Hope the young man can get it together and become the star many people believe he can be.
-ALR

2 comments:

  1. IAM REALLY SORRY TO HEAR THIS NEWS ABOUT O.J. MAYO BECAUSE HE HAS ALOT OF POTIENTLY BUT I APPRECIATE THE STATEMENT THAT HE MADE REGARDING HIS MISTAKE WHAT MORE CAN YOU ASK FOR BUT A MAN TO OWN UP TO HIS MISTAKES, SO HOLD YOUR HEAD UP O.J. THINGS WILL GET BETTER. LOVE YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's allright OJ. As a Native Californian, I believe you and I'm sure many others do as well. Look, I am a Marketing Director with a Nascar partner. And I'd love to get you a fine AD for a more accepted supplement....

    ReplyDelete